What aspects of grammar do you need to work on?
What are your troublespots?
PART A: GRAMMAR
Section 1: Read each sentence and decide if it is grammatically correct or not.
1. Water is boiling at 100 degrees Celsius.
2. Outsourcing has both advantages and disadvantage.
3. She is one of the most well-known actor of her generation.
4. The amount of information available on the internet is amazing.
5.Children spend far too much time to watch television.
6. Police have arrested 45 suspected terrorists in countrywide raids last weekend.
7. Martina Navaratolova played professional tennis at the top level until her fifties.
8. He was retired from professional football in 1965.
9. Air pollution can be define as the addition of something harmful to the air at a faster rate than it can absorb.
10. The global warming is partly caused by the burning of fossil fuels.
11. People are becoming more aware for the dangers of smoking.
12. Each applicant is given a equal opportunity to compete in the race.
Part B: Paragraph Writing
Write a paragraph (150 - 200 words). Use an academic style, and a range of sentences and vocabulary. Check your work for grammatical accuracy.
For this task, follow these instructions
Start your paragraph by completing ONE of the following topic sentences:
1 One of the most attractive features of iPods is their....
2 One of the problems facing international students at Auckland University is ......
3 One of the issues facing (society/name of your country) today is....
OR write a response (you may agree or disagree or discuss both views) to ONE of the following statements:
4 Computers have changed the way people live, work, and spend their leisure time.
5 Poverty is the mother of crime.
If you would like feedback on your writing for this writing task, go to the Introduction page of GrammarSmart and email us your writing as an attachment.