Political Marketing POLITICS 345
Interactive and Responsive Leadership Communication
Elder, Edward (2014). ‘Communicating contemporary leadership in government: Barack Obama’. In Jennifer Lees-Marshment, Brian Conley and Kenneth Cosgrove (eds) Political Marketing in the US. New York: Routledge.
Elder, Edward (2014) Case Study 7.1‘Communicating contemporary market-oriented leadership in government: Barack Obama’ in Political Marketing: Principles and Applications 2nd edition Routledge.
Elder, Edward. (2016). "Market-Oriented Governing Leaders’ Communication: John Key and Barack Obama." Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing no. 28 (1):5-21.
Elder, Edward (2016) Marketing Leadership in Government: communicating responsiveness, leadership and credibility (Palgrave)
Elder, Edward (2018). Communicating Market-Oriented Leadership in Power and Opposition. In Jennifer Lees-Marshment (ed.) Political marketing and management in the 2017 New Zealand election. Palgrave studies in political marketing and management. London, Palgrave Macmillan.
Lilleker, D. and N. Jackson (2010). Interactivity and Branding, public political communication as a marketing tool. Political Studies Association (PSA) Conference: Sixty Years of Political Studies: Achievements and Futures. Edinburgh University, Scotland see http://eprints.bournemouth.ac.uk/15074/
Lilleker, Darren G. (2015). "Interactivity and Branding: Public Political Communication as a Marketing Tool." Journal of Political Marketing no. 14 (1/2):111-128.
Lloyd, Jenny (2012). ‘Something old, something new? Modelling political communication in the 2010 UK general election'. In Jennifer Lees-Marshment (ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Political Marketing. London and New York: Routledge, 243–56.
Robinson, Claire (2012). ‘Interacting leaders'. In Jennifer Lees-Marshment (ed.) The Routledge Handbook of Political Marketing. London and New York: Routledge, 257–70.
Stromer-Galley, Jennifer. (2014). Presidential campaigning in the Internet age. New York: Oxford University Press. – chapters 5. ‘2008: Networked Campaigning and Controlled Interactivity’ and 6. ‘2012: Data-Driven Networked Campaigning’
Zuydam, Sabine Van, and Frank Hendriks (2018). Credibility Enacted: Understanding the Meaning of Credible Political Leadership in the Dutch Parliamentary Election Campaign of 2010. Journal of Political Marketing. 17(3): 258-281
Canadian PM Justin Trudeau
- Clever funny communications – Canadian PM and Wife self-deprecating jokes in relation to media critiques of them at Press Gallery dinner - ‘Sophie Gregoire Trudeau Steals The Show From PM At Press Gallery Dinner’ http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/10303006?ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067 [5m] April 2016 - see video on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGCpArP6SHw [14m]
- What Justin Trudeau’s Remarkable Rise Teaches Us About the Future of Political Marketing – Article discussing the successes behind Trudeau’s style of campaigning and political marketing, particularly praising his ability to “create powerful moments that contain massive viral potential.” Claims this is the future of political campaigning and politicians the world over should pay attention. Features youtube version
USA\ President Obama - Market-Oriented Communications
- Obama at the MLB All-Star Game, July 2009, 1:31 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxt6lEeqlz0
- Obama Talks Baseball with Bob Costas, July 2009, 13:53 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vV3jc_OTY6Y
- NASCAR at the White House, August 2009, 6:07 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nO3I-1UWco
- Christmas at the White House: Oprah Special, December 2009, 0:36 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3WMBIeHkc4
- Combating Misinformation: "Death Panels", August 2009, 2:27 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ5Lyz4hfsA
- Using "Ordinary Americans": The Urgency of Reform, September 2009, 2:56 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD0vIuPSFdo
- Targeting Senior Citizens: VP Biden on Medicare, September 2009, 5:04 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSeZ5h_ndk
- LGBT Communities: Obama on "Don't Ask Don't Tell", October 2009, 24:58 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F_BODrAwSE&feature=channel
- Hispanic Communities: Obama's Hispanic Heritage Month Message, October 2009, 1:04http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44iCLOW29RI
- Hispanic Communities: http://www.whitehouse.gov/LaRealidad
- Muslim Communities: June 2009, 3:36 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz0_8wKiz1M
- Obama: the Importance of Fathers, June 2009, 2:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVJXrJhzrcQ
- The Obamas' New Dog, April 2009, 2:46 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERljfG0U3co
NZ PM Jacinda Ardern
NZ PM Jacinda Ardern Facebook live post launch of ‘Our Plan’ 2018 https://www.facebook.com/jacindaardern/videos/a-quick-follow-up-from-the-launch-of-our-plan-with-the-co-leader-of-the-green-pa/258135881506033/ [5m]
New Zealand PM John Key and Bill English
Nz National 2017 Bill’s Story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ZuRppm2kY [7m] September 2017
National campaign video in the NZ 2014 election - On the road with John Key - talks about listening, September 18 2014 http://www.nzherald.co.nz/video/news/video.cfm?c_id=1501138&gal_cid=1501138&gallery_id=145537
NZ Prime Minister John Key interviewed by 7 year olds during the 2014 NZ election, 25 August http://www.thebreeze.co.nz/John-Key-Interviewed-By-7-Year-Olds/tabid/1092/articleID/8323/Default.aspx
Key explaining mass surveillance really well breakfast tv http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/key-rejects-mass-surveillance-claims-video-6083051
UK PM Gordon Brown
Televised Q & A
- PM talks to BBC Northwest, March 2009, 5:43 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD18IviQMXA
- Piers Morgan's Life Stories, Gordon Brown, February 14 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1JKlKbKEfY&feature=channel
"Ask the PM" Online Initiative
- Ask the PM: Liberty, May 2009, 0:57 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCTTfcZ6hUUV
- Ask the PM: Government Borrowing, December 2008, 0:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGG-PGxacGE
- Gordon Brown invites you to Ask the PM, May 2008, 0:52 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gusfHO_vY
Listening Tours and Radio Appearances
- PM in Yorkshire, October 2009, 3:16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpiVbcUnolQ
- PM in Lancashire, October 2009, 2:36 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Br3kCQ-Ic
- No. 10 Welcomes Sybil the Cat, September 2007, 0:22 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Mb4F_B8kY
Conversations with Bill Kristol (2015, 15 March). Paul Begala on Bill Clinton and the Clinton White House. YouTube. Accessed 20 May 2018 from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OwuqRkHaK4