Political Marketing POLITICS 345
Strategy in Government
Fischer, Thomas, Gregor Peter Scmitz and Michael Seberich (Eds.) (2007), The Strategy of Politics: Results of a comparative study. Verlag, Bertelsmann Stiftung: Butersloh.
Various chapters within this e.g.:
- Arterton, F. Christopher (2007), ‘Strategy and Politics: The Example of the United States of America,' in Thomes Fischer, Gregor Peter Scmitz, Michael Seberich (eds), The Strategy of Politics: Results of a comparative study, Verlag, Bertelsmann Stiftung, Butersloh. Pp. 133-172
- Glaab, Manuela (2007). Strategy and politics: The Example of Germany. In Thomas Fischer, Gregor Peter Schmitz, Michael Seberich (Eds.), The Strategy of Politics: Results of a comparative study. Verlag, Bertelsmann Stiftung: Butersloh
- Lindholm, Mikael R. and Anette Prehn (2007) ‘Strategy and Politics: the example of Denmark' in Thomes Fischer, Gregor Peter Scmitz, Michael Seberich (eds), The Strategy of Politics: Results of a comparative study, Verlag, Bertelsmann Stiftung, Butersloh.
Conley, Brian M (2014). ‘Does Obama care? Assessing the delivery of health reform in the United States’. In Jennifer Lees-Marshment, Brian Conley and Kenneth Cosgrove (eds) Political Marketing in the United States. New York: Routledge, 272-288.
Mulgan, G. (2008) ‘What's posterity ever done for me? On strategy in Government'. Public Policy Research,vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 168-176.
Mulgan, G. (2009) The Art of Public Strategy: How Obama can be a Strategic Success, viewed 14 February 2010,
Mulgan, G. (2009) The Art of Public Strategy: Mobilizing Power and Knowledge for the Public Good, New York, Oxford University Press.
Van der Hart, Hein W. C. (1990), ‘Government Organisations and their Customers in the Netherlands: Strategy, Tactics and operations', European Journal of Marketing, 24: 7, 31-42.
Obama Government discussions of strategy
Obama on Innovation and Sustainable Growth, September 2009, 32:33 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIzV9JRL5Pg
President's Recovery Advisory Board: How to Grow the Economy, November 2009, 1:46:01http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AukZuC-Hr54
Challenges of staying market-oriented in government
Behind-the-scenes of Justin Trudeau's first day as Prime Minister – Justin Trudeau is asked how he will stay in touch with the public in power given the security, touching on the obstacles to maintaining a market-orientation in power – see the conversation in the car about 10 minutes in, especially about 12.11 minutes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE1WHg5-Hws
- Article on 5 barriers to effective government strategy http://www.guardian.co.uk/public-leaders-network/blog/2011/dec/14/five-barriers-effective-government-strategy
- New organisations on government strategy: http://www.centralgovstrategyforum.com/; http://www.strategynetworks.net/central-gov-strategy-forum
Former sites no longer there but might be found on searching:
- HM Government 2009, Building Britain's Future, viewed February 11 2010,http://www.hmg.gov.uk/buildingbritainsfuture.aspx
- Prime Ministers Strategy Unit, Strategy Survival Guide, viewed February 11 2010,http://interactive.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/strategy/survivalguide/
- Prime Ministers Strategy Unit 2008, Future Strategic Challenges for Britain, viewed February 11 2010,http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/strategy/work_areas/strategic_challenges0208.aspx