Political Marketing POLITICS 345
Big data - analytical and experimental marketing
Baldwin-Philippi, Jessica (2017). “The Myths of Data-Driven Campaigning”. Political Communication. 34(4): 627-633.
Dale, A and A Strauss (2009) 'Don't forget to vote: Text message reminders as a mobilization tool' American Journal of Political Science.
Dalton, Russell J. (2016). "The Potential of Big Data for the Cross-National Study of Political Behavior." International Journal of Sociology no. 46 (1):8-20.
Green, DP, AS Gerber (2008) Get out the vote: How to increase voter turnout
Gonzalez, Robert J. (2017). “Hacking the Citizenry?” Anthropology Today. 33(3): 9-12.
Issenberg, Sasha (2012). The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns. New York: Crown Publishing Group.
McNeely, Connie L., and Jong-on Hahm. (2014). "The Big (Data) Bang: Policy, Prospects, and Challenges." Review of Policy Research no. 31 (4):304-310.
Mignacca, Nicholas (2014), Case Study 3.4 ‘Little data: Using social media to gain market research and inform campaign strategy at local government level’ in Political Marketing: Principles and Applications 2nd edition Routledge.
Panagopoulos, C (2011) 'Thank you for voting: gratitude expression and voter mobilization' Journal of Politics.
Pirog, Maureen A. (2014). "Data will drive innovation in Public Policy and Management research in the next decade." Journal of Policy Analysis and Management no. 33 (2):537-543.
Sinclair, B (2012) The Social Citizen
Spiller, Lisa and Jeff Bergner (2014), ‘Database Political Marketing’ Chapter 3 in Jennifer Lees-Marshment, Brian Conley and Kenneth Cosgrove (eds) Political Marketing in the US. New York; Routledge.
Big data in campaigns
- Channel 4 News (2018). ‘Cambridge Analytica uncovered: Secret filming reveals election tricks’. Channel 4 News, https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=mpbeOCKZFfQ (accessed 1 September 2018)
- Big Data: Doorstep to Database CBC video, Canada, Sept 2 2015 http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/doorstep-to-database-1.3213609 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJTsFu5n0VE [11m] – CBC special about how Canada's political parties are spending big money to amass big data about you and your family.
- Cambridge Analytica - What We Do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjvy9fFQsEw [1m video]
- ‘The Future Of Political Campaigns’ Cambridge Analytica https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBgHrn-TrD8 Sep 8, 2015 ‘An introduction to our unique approach to political campaigning and behavioral microtargeting’
- Analytic Marketing in the 2012 US Presidential election - 'Big Money 2012 The Digital Campaign, PBS Newshour/Election 2012 2012. 30 minutes - An exploration of the way the presidential campaigns are using unprecedented amounts of new data, and controversial new tactics, to target their messages and persuade voters http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/digital-campaign/
- Big Data & Big Politics - A Look Inside Data Mining In Campaigns – Media piece by Fox News - 5:41 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UdbBCFxPN4
- Big Data in Electoral Politics & Beyond: Revealing the Science of Political Science with Dan Wagner; video of hour long lecture, presented by the University of Montana Mansfield Center, 2014. 59:48 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bw7Q0YmY54
- Big Data, Small Politics – video of lecture and then discussion Evgeny Morozov Radboud University, Nijmegen 2014 – nearly two hours http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba0rIaEftKU
- In an excerpt from her updated book, Shopping for Votes, Susan Delacourt explains how Justin Trudeau’s Liberals used technology to plot a path to victory in the 2015 election. https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/05/21/how-the-big-red-machine-became-the-big-data-machine.html
Presentations on data, Workshop on Media and democracy conference, Canada, 2012
Big Data and Political marketing 1/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnRqO5CjVyg
Big Data and Political marketing 2/4 . Lecture which discusses data on Obama, reaction to speeches by Romney and so on. 9 minutes long. By MDD Vancouver, Canada.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDM1d2SAveI
Big Data and Political marketing 3/4 D Colin Bennett from the Department of political science, University of Victoria discusses party databases http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9lyRa9lbo
Big Data and Political marketing 4/4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbvxjNmIIWw discusses prinvacy regulations
In government and policy
Using Big Data to Influence Government Policy – Wall Street Journal discussion - Dan Kaufman, the director of DARPA's Information Innovation Office, speaks with WSJ's Elizabeth Dwoskin about how the military can use big data to inform public policy - 4:09 http://www.wsj.com/video/using-big-data-to-influence-government-policy/5C5D6086-BD0E-4B6D-B0E6-109FFD95114E.html
Investment in data can produce a big return for government -The Guardian – public leaders network – Big data panel discussion on using big data in public sector - 15:45. Jonathan Raper, chief executive of transportapi.com, says the release of government data can improve accountability; Joel Gurin, senior adviser at the GovLab at New York University, highlights the private companies using public data; Tom Smith, managing director of OCSI, explores the high return-on-investment potential in opening up data; and Dell's Paul Brook talks about the democratisation of data. http://www.theguardian.com/public-leaders-network/video/2014/jun/20/big-data-question-panel-dell-video
The Value of Big Data and Analytics in Government - Oracle Session 3: Big Data 2014 - A Public Sector Partners Forum 50:51 - Speakers: Mark Johnson, Director, Engineered Systems and Big Data Programs, Oracle Corporation Wayne Babby, Deputy Director Office of Research, CA Dept of Corrections, Abdul Shaik, BI/Reporting Manager CA Dept of Corrections. The question of why the Public Sector should embark on a Data Discovery program is being asked at all levels of Government. This session focuses on the benefits of implementing a Big Data Program and the capabilities it builds in Public Sector Organizations. The key challenges identified were disparate data systems, localized data, volumes of data, data received from external agencies in flat files, inconsistency of format and the amount of time needed to get the desired results. This session was presented at the 2014 PSP Big Data Forum -- Managing Government Information Effectively - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlVK3ywDIWA
Media discussions of big data in politics
‘The Death of the Hunch' in Slate discussed how experimental and analytic marketing is being used to predict/prove which ads could be most effective. May 2012 http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/victory_lab/2012/05/obama_campaign_ads_how_the_analyst_institute_is_helping_him_hone_his_message_.html
'How parties 'identify' voters, and why it matters: But the same tools that help parties get out their votes can also enable dirty tricks' By Janyce McGregor, CBC News, March 2 2012 http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/how-parties-identify-voters-and-why-it-matters-1.1152309
‘Obama campaign took unorthodox approach to ad buying' discusses how the used different data to target TV ads in unlikely places http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-influence-industry-obama-campaign-took-unorthodox-approach-to-ad-buying/2012/11/14/c3477e8c-2e87-11e2-beb2-4b4cf5087636_story.html
Article called 'Nudge my vote' in the New York Times discusses the Analyst institute http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/31/magazine/31politics-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
Discussion of analytical marketing applied to a state level campaign in a swing state where turnout matters:
Friesen, Joe (2011). ‘'Micro-targeting' lets parties conquer ridings, one tiny group at a time’. The Globe and Mail, Friday, April 22. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/micro-targeting-lets-parties-conquer-ridings-one-tiny-group-at-a-time/article4359559/
Big data and analytic companies
Analyst Institute https://analystinstitute.org/
The Victory Lab http://www.thevictorylab.com/
Environics Analytics http://www.environicsanalytics.ca/
Strategic Telemetry http://www.strategictelemetry.com/
TargetPoint Consulting http://www.targetpointconsulting.com/
The Analyst Institute https://analystinstitute.org/