Political Marketing POLITICS 345
Marketing Communication of Candidates & Leaders
Bal, A. S., L. Pitt, et al. (2009). "Caricatures, cartoons, spoofs and satires: political brands as butts." Journal of Public Affairs 9(4): 229-237.
Berger, Arthur Asa. (2016). ‘Marketing the President: political marketing’. In Arthur A. Berger, Marketing and American Consumer Culture. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan, 93-100.
Busby, Robert. (2009). Marketing the Populist Politician: the demotic democrat. Basingstoke; New York, Palgrave Macmillan
Busby, Robert (2012), ‘Selling Sarah Palin: political marketing and the ‘Wal-Mart Mom'' Chapter 17 in the Routledge Handbook of Political Marketing edited by Jennifer Lees-Marshment, Routledge.
Busby, Robert (2014). ‘Mama Grizzlies: Republican female candidates and the political marketing dilemma’. In Jennifer Lees-Marshment, Brian Conley and Kenneth Cosgrove (eds) Political Marketing in the US. New York: Routledge.
Campus, D. (2010). "Mediatization and Personalization of Politics in Italy and France: the Cases of Berlusconi and Sarkozy." International Journal of Press/Politics 15(2): 219-235.
Cotrim Maciera, J. (2005). Change to win? The 2002 general election PT marketing strategy in Brazil. In D. Lilleker and J. Lees-Marshment (Eds.), Political marketing: a comparative perspective. Manchester University Press.
Davies, G. and T. Mian (2010). "The Reputation of the Party Leader and of the Party Being Led." European Journal of Marketing 44(3-4): 331-350.
De Landtsheer, Christ'l, Philippe De Vries, and Dieter Vertessen (2008). "Political Impression Management: How Metaphors, Sound Bites, Appearance Effectiveness, and Personality Traits Can Win Elections." Journal of Political Marketing 7, no. 3-4: 217-38.
De Vreis, Phillippe, Christ'l De Landtsheer, and Soetkin Kesteloot. 2009. Image Supremacy? Lifting the veil in Belgium. In Political Marketing: Principles and Applications, by J. Lees-Marshment. Oxon and New York: Routledge.
Elder, Edward. (2016). "Market-Oriented Governing Leaders’ Communication: John Key and Barack Obama." Journal of Nonprofit & Public Sector Marketing no. 28 (1):5-21.
Gaber, Ivor and Coral James O'Connor (2016) ‘The Battle for Brighton: the view from cyberspace’ Chapter 8 in Political Marketing and the 2015 UK General Election edited by Darren G. Lilleker and Mark Pack (Palgrave Macmillan)
Garzia, Diego. (2013). "Can Candidates' Image Win Elections? A Counterfactual Assessment of Leader Effects in the Second Italian Republic." Journal of Political Marketing no. 12 (4):348-361.
Ingram, Peter and Jennifer Lees-Marshment (2002). ‘The Anglicisation of political marketing: how Blair “out-marketed” Clinton’. Journal of Public Affairs, 2(2): 44–56.
Lloyd, Jenny (2012) ‘Something Old, Something New? Modelling political communication in the 2010 UK general election' Chapter 19 in the Routledge Handbook of Political Marketing edited by Jennifer Lees-Marshment, Routledge.
Newman, Bruce I. (2001). ‘An assessment of the 2000 US presidential election: a set of political marketing guidelines’. Journal of Public Affairs, 1(3): 210.
O'Shaughnessy, Nicholas J. and Stephan C. Henneberg (2007). The Selling of the President 2004: A Marketing Perspective. Journal of Public Affairs, vol. 7(3): 249-68.
Robinson, Claire (2012) ‘Interacting Leaders' Chapter 20 in the Routledge Handbook of Political Marketing edited by Jennifer Lees-Marshment, Routledge.
Rottinghaus, Brandon, and Irina Alberro (2005). Rivaling the PRI: The Image Management of Vicente Fox and the Use of Public Opinion Polling in the 2000 Mexican Election. Latin American Politics and Society, vol. 47(2): 143-58.
Scammell, Margaret (1995). Designer Politics: How Elections are Won. St. Martin's Press.
Scammell, Margaret (1996). The odd couple: Marketing and Maggie. European Journal of Marketing, vol. 30(10/11): 114-126.
Schweiger, Gunter and Michaela Aadami (1999). ‘The nonverbal image of politicians and political parties’. In Bruce Newman (ed.) The Handbook of Political Marketing. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Bill Clinton: his personal story ‘US Democrats - Bill Clinton 1992 Video 5 Part 1’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l_h9ltTZD0&feature=related
Nz National 2017 Bill’s Story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ZuRppm2kY (Bill English)
David Cameron in a 2010 Conservative General Election Broadcast 4.52 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Txz_QdpOUA&feature=related
NZ Labour “Mary” ad (2008) 0:30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT7ybNAwmB4&feature=PlayList&p=32A9A21F3173B917&index=15
"Peter Dunne Replies to DomPost" 1.50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb2YaFMrAr8
“David Cameron’s Image” 0:34 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwYOc6EiADo
Strategic attack ads
Negative attack ads
- Attack from Canadian Conservatives on Justin Trudeau - uses Interview assessments - Attack on Trudeau – part 1. May 25 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKnslymEWPw - Attack on Trudeau – part 2. May 25 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFzYIthU8mIS - See also discussion on http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com//news/canada/canadian-politics/new-tory-attack-ad-targets-liberal-leader-despite-poll-showing-ndp-ahead
- See example of an attack memo at http://freebeacon.com/politics/david-brock-memo-attack-trump/ ‘Read the Confidential David Brock Memo Outlining Plans to Attack Trump’ - Memo was handed out to big money liberal donors at posh Florida retreat
- Clinton campaign game to attack trump - ‘A new tool from the Clinton campaign pits Clinton against Trump throughout their lives’ - https://static.businessinsider.com/image/57fe5cc68109eeff008b5438/image.jpg?_ga=1.225616210.992136556.1487551577 a website from Clinton’s camp takes the two candidates’ personal histories and compared them across the past 50-plus years.
- Canadian Liberal Party Justin Trudeau criticised opponent Stephen Harper - ‘Escalator: Harder to get ahead’ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdFxaKNd6xc&feature=youtu.be September 1 2015 – effective way of conveying approach
Amusing attack ads
- Another attack but using humour – Greens UK 2015 – see http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/08/the-green-party-might-have-just-made-the-funniest-campaign-video-ever-5140734/
- ‘How the Republicans Steal Progress | The Briefing’ December 2015 http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVhvZMi0dUw&sns=fb
Funny advert with the wife pleading with voters to re-elect her husband - A really funny way of doing an ad to convey the candidates commitment - very funny and engaging http://digg.com/video/gerald-daugherty-ad-texas
O'Leary, Noreen (2009). ‘GMMB’. Mediaweek, 19(24) OR Brandweek vol 50 issue 24 see http://connection.ebscohost.com/c/articles/43468630/gmmb.
What Justin Trudeau’s Remarkable Rise Teaches Us About the Future of Political Marketing – Medium (December 2015) – Article discussing the successes behind Trudeau’s style of campaigning and political marketing, particularly praising his ability to “create powerful moments that contain massive viral potential.”
UK PM Gordon Brown